Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day

Rob and I did not visit our mother's on Mother's Day, and all day I felt terrible about that. But, I guess seeing neither mom is better than choosing one mom.

In honor of my Mom, I wanted to post some of my favorite memories.

When I was little some of my most vivd memories are of her playing with the playdoh. Helping me scuplt baskets by piping the doh and wraping it around until it formed a basket or bowl. As a pre-teen, I remember mom trying to be on my side when dad said I was too young for makeup. She'd buy me clear mascera and very pale lip gloss. Of course, at the time, I wanted to wear hideous colors like bright red lipsitck and bluest of blue eye shadow. But, at least she tried to help my Dad and I meet in the middle.

During my teen years, now they were pretty rough. I can remember thinking that I was so different from my mother. I want so many different things for my life. I want a career - and to live in a big city as a single - just me against the world. Versus, my mom who took a career late in life and seemed so satisfied to stay in a small town just being a wife and a mom.

Funny thing is, now I'm in my 20's. I understand my mom in a way I never did until now. My priorities have changed. I aspire to be the wife my Mom has been. She's been supportive and patient. I know that in the future I'll be more in tune to all she has done for me, and it is my hope for Mother's Day that each day I make her a little more proud of the woman I have become. What better gift to give that the since of knowing all those years of work produced a productive, caring, honest, and Godly woman.

Of course there are other memories... way too many... but I think my favorites are the simple times. The everyday stuff that we did.

Thanks Mom, for EVERYTHING... what are some of your fondest memories?

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Melissa, how wonderful Do you think that my kids might feel that way too?