Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Doggie Door Deaths

Yesterday I was watching Good Morning America. They reported on a story about the hazards of Doggie Doors. They ask "us" (the viewers) to spread the word:

DO NOT LEAVE CHILDREN UNSUPERVISED: CHILDREN CAN (and probably will)EXIT YOUR HOME THROUGH THE DOGGIE DOOR!

I'm not a mother, but the thought crossed my mind that if a door designed to allow a 150 lbs. dog go in and out as he/she pleases that of course your 3 year old child who may weigh 40 lbs. could fit through there too. Kids are into everything especially if it's at their eye level. Keep a close watch on your children and go the extra mile and buy the dog door that opens with a special sensor you place on the dog's collar. Furthermore, I urge parents with pools to set up gates around the pool not just the back yard. Yes, I grew up riding my bike around the pool, but that was back before we knew any better!

I'm not criticizing, we have all lost track of a child and most have been fortunate that no serious harm was done. I was the best at getting loose and into trouble! But, please use common sense people, it is a DOOR to the outside. Take the same precautions as you would when covering electrical sockets or installing those things that don't allow (me umm..) children to open cabinets, doors, toilet lids, etc.

No comments: